Our Advocacy Programme
The ACJPS advocacy programme aims to improve the availability of reliable information and analysis of the human rights situation throughout Sudan, protect victims of serious human rights violations, and hold perpetrators to account.
Working together with its extensive networks of advocacy partners inside and outside Sudan, ACJPS works to influence policy and decision makers, and achieve an improvement in the human rights situation throughout the country.
The ACJPS advocacy programme works on a wide range of thematic human rights issues. Thematic issues of concern include ending conflict-related human rights violations and ensuring the protection of civilians in conflict zones, putting an end to arbitrary detention, torture and other forms of ill-treatment, improving the space for everyone in Sudan to enjoy the freedoms of expression, association and assembly, and ensuring access to justice and accountability for serious human rights violations.
Cross cutting all our work, we strive for a Sudan free from discrimination, where the human rights of everyone are respected and protected, including for ethnic and religious minorities, women and girls.
- Ensuring political and human rights decision makers at all levels have access to reliable and quality information and analysis on emerging human rights cases and trends of concern in Sudan.
- Placing Sudan’s human rights crisis on the international and regional political agenda.
- Campaigning on behalf of individuals at risk of serious human rights violations and making their cases heard.
- Promoting accountability for serious human rights violations and challenging impunity, including support for international criminal justice mechanisms.
- Encouraging Sudan’s adherence to its domestic, regional and international human rights commitments and reforming laws and policies in line with them.
- Supporting regional and international human rights bodies carry out their mandates to promote and protect human rights in Sudan, including providing vital information to the African Commission on Human and Peoples’ Rights, the UN Human Rights Council and UN human rights treaty bodies.
- Supporting and building the capacity of Sudanese civil society members to advocate for an improvement to the human rights situation in Sudan, including through the promotion of law reform and public campaigns.
ACJPS advocacy partners
ACJPS works with a range of advocacy partners inside and outside Sudan to achieve its goals. ACJPS advocacy partners include:
- The International Federation for Human Rights (FIDH)
- The REDRESS Trust
- Amnesty International
- The International Refugee Rights Initiative (IRRI)
- The World Organisation Against Torture (OMCT)
- Crisis Action