05 Apr

Aljazeera State is located in Central Sudan, south of Khartoum, and is the second most populated State after Khartoum (before the armed conflict) in Sudan hosting approximately 5,000,000 residents. Wad Madani, the capital of Aljazeera state is comprised of at least 7 urban areas namely; Alhasahisa, Almangil, Wad Rawah, Rufaa, Alkamlien, Alqurashi 24, and Um Alqura where less than 20% of the population reside. The other 80% live in rural areas (villages) and depend on agriculture as the main source of income. Aljazeera State hosts some of the biggest agricultural projects in Sudan supervised by the commissioner. The cotton project for instance was established by the British during the colonial period and it was designed with an irrigation system to produce up to 65% of the cotton in Sudan and also feed the Lancashire cotton factory in Britain. According to local authorities, Aljazeera state currently hosts approximately 4 million IDPs most of whom are from Khartoum and River Nile States. Wad Madani quickly became the operation hub for the humanitarians who fled from Khartoum State following the outbreak of the armed conflict in Sudan on 15 April 2023. Aljazeera state remained relatively peaceful until December 2023 when residents reported incidents of violations by the Rapid Support Forces (RSF) and allied militia. The situation has since made a turn for the worse.

* The email will not be published on the website.